Intolerance is the act of refusal to accept, appreciate and respect any practices, beliefs, or opinions of the people of another group, religion, cast or custom. Israeli Jews and Palestinians are the best example of high degree of intolerance because of the various issues of identity. According to the William Ury notes,
“tolerance is not just agreeing with one another or remaining indifferent in the face of injustice, but rather showing respect for the essential humanity in every person.”
Israeli Jews and Palestinians are the best example of high degree of intolerance because of the various issues of identity, self-determination, security, statehood, etc. Intolerance between them is resulted in continue inter-group violence.
As Shashi Tharoor, an Indian politician and a former diplomat put it:
“We (in India) cannot simultaneously sell ourselves to the world as a land of pluralism, tolerance and Gandhianism, while promoting intolerance, communal hatred and minority insecurity within the country. It is time the Modi government learned they cannot promote ‘Make in India’ abroad while condoning the propagation of ‘Hate in India’ at home.”
In 2017, India’s film censorship board headed by Pahlaj Nihalani, a ruling party nominee apparently intent on protecting Prime Minister Narendra Modi from criticism, ruled that a documentary, The Argumentative Indian, about one of the country’s most famous citizens, Nobel Prize–winning economist Amartya Sen, could not be screened. The director was ordered to mute the words “cow”, “Hindu India”, “Hindutva view of India” (meaning Hindu nationalism), and “Gujarat” – where Modi was chief minister at the time of deadly anti-Muslim riots in 2002. It was only in January, after much debate, that the Central Board of Film Certification cleared the screening.
The changed climate in India’s famously argumentative democracy has come into sharp focus since Modi’s rise to office in 2014. Over the past three years, in particular, there has been an increasing sense that space for liberal discussion in the country is becoming narrower. This has been shown by repeated incidents of threats, assassinations and lynching, along with the banning and burning of books.
There is a feeling that extremist religious ideologies and violent forces on the right have overshadowed the idea of a liberal, tolerant society envisioned by India’s founding fathers. A new Hindu assertiveness and so-called cleansing of Western cultural influences is steadily gaining ground, whereby intolerant forces, propped up by the political class, are determined to put rationalists and liberals in their place.
At this point three questions prop up in any body mind;
- Was India free from intolerance before May 2014?
- Who are these liberals?
- How do you define secularism?
Prior to May 2014, India suffered huge no’s of riots. Religious violence in India includes acts of violence by followers of one religious group against followers and institutions of another religious group, often in the form of rioting. Religious violence in India, especially in recent times, has generally involved Hindus and Muslims, There is also a history of Muslim – Parsi riots.
- A. Religious violence broke out during September–October 1969,in Gujarat. It was the most deadly violence since the 1947 partition of India .The rioting started after an attack on a Hindu temple in Ahmedabad, but rapidly expanded to major cities and towns of Gujarat. The violence included attacks on Hindu chawls by their neighbors. The violence continued over a week, and then the rioting restarted a month later. Some 660 people were killed (430 Hindus, rest Muslims), 1074 people were injured and over 48,000 lost their property.
- B. Ethnic cleansing of Kashmiri Hindus: – In the Kashmir region, approximately 300 Kashmiri Pandits were killed between September 1989 to 1990 in various incidents. In early 1990, local Urdu newspapers Aftab and Al Safa called upon to wage waragainst India and ordered the expulsion of all Hindus choosing to remain in Kashmir. In the following days masked men ran in the streets with AK-47 shooting to kill Hindus who would not leave. Notices were placed on the houses of all Hindus, telling them to leave within 24 hours or die. Since March 1990, estimates of between 300,000 and 500,000 pandits have migrated outside Kashmir due to persecution by fundamentalists in the largest case of ethnic cleansing since the partition of India. The proportion of Kashmiri Pandits in the Kashmir valley has declined from about 15% in 1947 to, by some estimates, less than 0.1% since the insurgency in Kashmir took on a religious and sectarian flavour. Many Kashmiri Pandits have been killed by militants in incidents such as the Wandhama massacre and the 2000 Amarnath pilgrimage massacre. The incidents of massacring and forced eviction have been termed ethnic cleansing by some observers.
- There have been a number of attacks on Hindu temples and Hindus by militants and Christian evangelists. Prominent among them are the 1998 Chamba massacre, the 2002 fidayeen attacks on Raghunath temple, the 2002 Akshardham Temple attack and the 2006 Varanasi bombings , resulting in many deaths and injuries. Recent attacks on Hindus include Marad massacre and the Godhra train burning.
- D. In August 2000, Swami Shanti Kali, a popular Hindu priest, was shot to death inside his ashram in the Indian state of Tripura. Police reports regarding the incident identified ten members of the Christian terrorist organization, NLFT, as being responsible for the murder. On 4 Dec 2000, nearly three months after his death, an ashram set up by Shanti Kali at Chachu Bazar near the Sidhai police station was raided by Christian militants belonging to the NLFT. Eleven of the priest’s ashrams, schools, and orphanages around the state were burned down by the NLFT.
- E. In September 2008, Swami Laxmanananda, a popular regional Hindu Guru was murdered along with four of his disciples by unknown assailants (though a Maoist organisation later claimed responsibility for that. Later the police arrested three Christians in connection with the murder. Congress MP Radhakant Nayak has also been named as a suspected person in the murder, with some Hindu leaders calling for his arrest.
- F. Lesser incidents of religious violence happen in many towns and villages in India. In October 2005, five people were killed in Mau in Uttar Pradesh during rioting, which was triggered by the proposed celebration of a Hindu festival.
- G. On 3 and 4 January 2002, eight Hindus was killed in Marad, near Kozhikode due to scuffles between two groups that began after a dispute over drinking water. On 2 May 2003, eight Hindus were killed by a mob, in what is believed to be a sequel to the earlier incident. One of the attackers, Mohammed Ashker was killed during the chaos. The National Development Front (NDF), a right-wing militant organization, was suspected as the perpetrator of the Marad massacre.
- H. In the 2010 Deganga riots after hundreds of Hindu business establishments and residences were looted, destroyed and burnt dozens of Hindus were killed or severely injured and several Hindu temples desecrated and vandalised by the mobs allegedly led by Trinamul Congress MP Haji Nurul Islam. Three years later, during the 2013 Canning riots, several hundred Hindu businesses were targeted and destroyed by mobs in the Indian state of West Bengal.
- Religious violence has led to the death, injuries and damage to numerous Hindus. For example, 254 Hindus were killed in 2002 Gujarat riots out of which half were killed in police firing and rest by rioters. During 1992 Bombay riots, 275 Hindus died.
- J. On 6 December 1992, members of the Vishva Hindu Parishad and the Bajrang Dal destroyed the 430-year-old Babri Mosque in Ayodhya – it was claimed by the Hindus that the mosque was built over the birthplace of the ancient deity Rama (and a 2010 Allahabad court ruled that the site was indeed a Hindu monument before the mosque was built there, based on evidence submitted by the Archaeological Survey of India. The resulting religious riots caused at least 1200 deaths. Since then the Government of India has blocked off or heavily increased security at these disputed sites while encouraging attempts to resolve these disputes through court cases and negotiations.
- K. The Godhra train burning incident in which Hindus were burned alive allegedly by closing door of train, led to the 2002 Gujarat riots in which mostly Muslims were killed. According to the death toll given to the parliament on 11 May 2005 by the United Progressive Alliance government, 790 Muslims and 254 Hindus were killed, and another 2,548 injured. 223 people are missing. The report placed the number of riot widows at 919 and 606 children were declared orphaned. According to hone advocacy group, the death tolls were up to 2000. According to the Congressional Research Service, up to 2000 people were killed in the violence.
In Babri Mosque case, rationalists and liberals accuse BJP but conveniently forget that it was Late Rajiv Gandhi who opened the gate of Mandir to offset the Hindu backlash on Shah Bano case. The intolerance gangs and liberals maintain the stoic, damning and secular silence on this. While these liberals, so called seculars and host of Amritya sens do not speak a word about these incidences but pick up selectively the Godhra case. India was tolerant up to May 2014 except Gujrat people responsible for Godhra massacre forgetting that it was coach burning and killing of Hindus which was also made controversial by proving that fire started from within the Railway Coach. Was India tolerant till May 2014 and suddenly became intolerant the moment NDA Govt took oath.
After May 2014 Hindus started to assert themselves and became conscious of the atrocities on them. They did not kill anybody but when they observed cow being butchered, Hindu girls taken for Jihaad, and forced conversions they took law in to their hands and yes killed some people of other faiths. The liberals, pseudo seculars, pseudo intellectuals, Congi agents, leftists and communists raised the bogey of intolerance and painted all Hindus as killers and intolerant. India became intolerant even one case of death; India was tolerant up to May 2014 except Godhra case. The bottom line is very clear that if the Hindus are killed, India is tolerant and other faiths, pseudo secular political party workers, and liberal die, suddenly India became intolerant.
Who are these liberals? These liberal groups are almost Hindus only. It is impossible to find any Muslim liberal who shall criticize their own religion. These are a group of pseudo seculars, pseudo intellectuals, Congi agents, leftists and Communists. They also prefer to call themselves, sex liberals, LGBT gangs, free drinkers, druggist who can speak fluent English and can discuss and argue on any subject under Sun holding a drink, smoking in 5-star hotels. These liberals can opine on any subject and they can speak authoritatively on any subject even if most foolishly. They can express their opinion on highly intricate Hindu Philosophy and Hindu belief system but they become dead tongue tied on any subject of other faiths. Welcome to the club of liberals.
Why we give so much weightage to the views of Dr Amritya Sen and Dr Shashi Tharoor whose role is questionable in the case of his own wife murder.
Why on every case of even in one small case of skirmish, Modi is held responsible. Before May 2014 this was not the case that for every incident Dr Manmohan Singh was held responsible. In any case Gandhi family is above law and Indian constitution is not valid on this family. We shall not touch this family.
In any case after May 2014 all Hindus are painted intolerant since they associate Hindu-BJP-Modi in one fold. The secular are defined in modern times if they blame Hindus for all ills of world and who can maintain complete selective silence if some other faith is concerned.
Is average Hindu/Muslim an intolerant? Average Hindu/Muslim is more worried about two square meals and their families. It is the most idiotic to bracket Hindus as intolerant. May be a very small % -a fringe element may be intolerant but assume even if 0.0001% or few thousands Hindus become intolerant then they can create mayhem. Similarly an average Muslim is more worried about his employment and who can stop them to create mass scale violence and killing if even few thousands become intolerant.
These Champagne glass holders, who can speak English in various debates and conferences, talk about intolerance since May 2014 which finds no takers. When Hindus are butchered, India is tolerant and when cycle reverses India becomes intolerant.